DWI/ OWIDedicated Legal Defense from Start to Finish
Theft Crime Defense Attorneys in Carmel, IN
Don’t Face Your Theft Charges Alone. Put a Proven Defense Lawyer on Your Side!
Your life can change in an instant following a theft crime accusation. Prosecutors will pursue the maximum penalties and build their case against you as soon as they’re aware of your charge. It doesn’t help that the other side of the courtroom can spew brutal attacks that could intimidate even the most fearless people.
Understanding Indiana’s Theft Laws
Indiana defines theft as a person knowingly or intentionally exerting unauthorized control over property of another person, with intent to deprive the other person of any part of its value or use.
The offense is a Class A misdemeanor punishable by up to 1 year in prison and/or up to $5,000 fines.
However, you can face harsher consequences under the following circumstances:
- Level 6 felony: The value of the property is $750 or more but less than $50,000, or the stolen property is a firearm, motor vehicle or component part of a motor vehicle. If you have a prior unrelated conviction for theft or criminal conversion, you may suffer a Level 6 felony as well.
- Level 5 felony: The value of the stolen property is at least $50,000 or the stolen property is a valuable metal as it relates to transportation or public safety, or the property is taken from a hospital, telecommunications provider, public utility or key facility and the absence of such property can create a risk of bodily injury. If you have a prior unrelated conviction for theft of a motor vehicle or component part, you could suffer a Level 5 felony charge.
Although Indiana does not have a shoplifting statute, burglary is defined as a person who breaks and enters the building or structure of another person, with intent to commit a felony or theft in it. The offense is a Level 5 felony but can be increased to a Level 4 felony if the building or structure is a dwelling.
You may get a level 3 felony charge if the burglary results in bodily injury to someone other than yourself, and a Level 2 felony if the offense is committed while armed with a deadly weapon or results in serious bodily injury to someone other than yourself.
The worst-case scenario is a Level 1 felony charge, which involves the offense being committed in a dwelling and results in serious bodily injury to someone other than yourself.
Defending Theft Crimes Accusations in Carmel, IN
It’s fair to say that Indiana does not take theft charges lightly. As such, you need a serious theft crime defense lawyer who knows what it takes to win.
Depending on the circumstances of your unique case, we can employ defense strategies such as:
- You owned the property
- You returned the property
- You were intoxicated
- You were entrapped
- You didn’t do it
- You were misidentified as the suspect
- The “victim” lied
These are some of the various avenues we can explore when you consult with us. After thoroughly reviewing your case, we can guide you through your legal options and work to put your theft charges behind you.
Your fight for freedom is just a phone call away. Contact us at (317) 669-9010 to arrange a free consultation today!
What Makes Blankenship Law Different?
Experience. Dedication. Accessibility.
Please check out my State of Indiana Bar Profile, and you’ll see that I’m licensed to practice law, a member in good standing, and free from any previous reprimands.
Having around the clock access to legal counsel means you get questions answered and concerns addressed. Blankenship Law isn’t the biggest firm in town, but it’s the biggest friend in the legal system you can have on your side.
Having a working relationship with many of the prosecutors in the area, Attorney Eric Blankenship is able to maneuver your case through the system with greater ease than other lawyers.
When your freedom is on the line, courtroom experience matters. Attorney Eric Blankenship has tried over a hundred jury trials.
As a former Marion County Prosecutor, Attorney Eric Blankenship knows both sides of the criminal court system and is 100% dedicated to only providing criminal legal services.
The Opinions That Matter Most
High-Quality, Compassionate Representation
“Blankenship was the most professional, hardest working lawyer I've ever met. He answered the phone every single time I called.”
- Jason H.
“He answered all of my questions honestly and if he didn't know, he said so, and guided me in the right direction!”
- Former Client
“Eric is a great lawyer and provides feedback that is easy to understand.”
- Laina M
All Your Legal Inquiries Addressed
- Learn what it’ll take to win your case
- Learn what it takes to navigate the courts
- Get answers to all your questions in a way that you’ll understand
- Get all your options presented to you, with the pros & cons of each choice
- Discover if your needs can be met by our services
- Initial case evaluation at no cost to you, free consultation